7.18.2011

The inconsistencies of being 26

I love reading blogs and I find a pattern in the blogs that I do follow; almost all of the writers are in their early 30's living in New York, married, and have young children. Most of their posts are about their children, parenting, and design ideas. None of these subjects relate to me except for the design ideas but nontheless, I still find parenthood fascinating and continue to follow up daily. All of these thoughts made me begin to think about why I blog? Who I want to reach, and the type of message I send out.

I've met a few people at school, and maybe only a handful, who are also confused at where they are in life. When people ask me about my plans at school I usually find myself more and more lost each time I explain them. Going to college for the second time around is exhausting when you realize that the first time was your BS (as my hygenist says, "bull sh*t degree)and then you're back at a junior college with fresh high school graduates.

26 is a weird age. Everyone expects something great out of 26 year old; like a career boost or getting married and having a family. But what if you don't want that, or frankly can't have that quite yet? What if you can't find a career because you graduated at the worst time for the economy, your undergrad isn't enough, you can't qualify for a loan because other people cut in line before you, and you realize you have to start over to be comfortable later on. My parents and older generations probably see these things as "excuses" but I swear, I am working my a** off and constantly wonder when the pay off will be. There is a scene I remember from the movie "Big Fish" where the boys get the option to see how they die through a crystal ball. I always wish that a crystal ball would let me know "it's gonna be OK". If I know that it will be OK then I won't mind going left and right before I can go straight forward.

People tell me to have supportive friends and make sure that you are in a relationship with someone who is understanding. I'm beginning to notice the new paths my friends choose are ones that are single tracks. And although James is supportive 90% of time, it's impossible to find someone who is plenty OK with paying a mortgage alone while you spend half your day studying in pajamas at 4:00 in the afternoon and only having enough time to prepare cereal and a smoothie for dinner.

With that said, I want to attract readers who are also lost or maybe they know the way and want to follow how I will find my way. Sometimes I feel like a lost and found box where I find great plans and goals and then overtime(because of time) I lose interest...or gain interset because of debt. Which brings me to money; this deserves an entire post on it's own but for the record, why the hell didn't my parents tell me that life was so expensive!? Of course, they mentioned that things cost money... but really, WTF.

So back to the topic, because even though I tend to write how my thoughts run through my brain I know I must stay on topic. If you are reading and you have similar "challenges" remember, when in doubt and lost go to school, save all of your money (get an IRA while you still can!), and always read my blogs. Also call your mom, she knows the answers, and always have a stress outlet because when you are confused you are likely stressed and when you are stressed you do nothing good for body especially at a cellular level.

I used to say this all the time so here it goes once more- like water for chocolate and I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment